Ukraine says it is preparing to launch a counteroffensive after the longest and bloodiest battle of the war in Bakhmut.
Russia’s Bakhmut assault loses steam, says Ukraine
Ukrainian troops, on the defensive for four months, will launch a long-awaited counterassault “very soon” now that Russia’s huge winter offensive is losing steam without taking Bakhmut, Ukraine’s top ground forces commander says.
The remarks by Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi were the strongest indication yet from Kyiv that it is close to shifting tactics, having absorbed Russia’s onslaught through a brutal winter.
Russia’s Wagner mercenaries, trying to capture Bakhmut in what has become the longest and bloodiest battle of the war, “are losing considerable strength and are running out of steam”, Syrskyi said on the Telegram social media site on Thursday.
“Very soon, we will take advantage of this opportunity, as we did in the past near Kyiv, Kharkiv, Balakliya and Kupiansk,” he said, listing Ukrainian counteroffensives last year that proved turning points in the war, recapturing swathes of land.