Estimated reading time 1 minute 1 Min

Russian forces continue attack in Donetsk region

Russia says it has killed more than 220 Ukrainian servicemen in the past 24 hours as their onslaught on Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region continues.

Russian forces continue attack in Donetsk Russia says it has killed more than 220 Ukrainian servicemen in the past 24 hours in the Donetsk.
March 13, 2023
By AAP
13 March 2023

Russia’s defence ministry says that its forces continued to conduct military operations in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region, claiming to have killed more than 220 Ukrainian servicemen over the past 24 hours.

“In the Donetsk direction… more than 220 Ukrainian servicemen, an infantry fighting vehicle,  three armoured fighting vehicles, seven vehicles, as well as a D-30 howitzer were destroyed during the day,” the defence ministry said on Sunday.

Reuters was not able to independently verify the defence ministry’s claim.

Both sides claim to have inflicted significant losses and the exact numbers are difficult to verify.

Ukraine said on Saturday that more than 500 Russian troops had been killed or wounded in a recent 24-hour period as they battled for control of Bakhmut.

Russian forces and troops from the privately run Wagner group of mercenaries have captured territory in the eastern part of the city and outskirts to the north and south, but have so far failed to encircle it completely.

Moscow says capturing Bakhmut would punch a hole in Ukrainian defences and be a step towards seizing all of the Donbas industrial region, a major target.

More in Top Stories