More than 5500 people are still missing, and some 8800 need assistance after devastating floods in east Congo that have already claimed 400 lives.
More than 5500 still missing in flood-hit east Congo
More than 5500 people are still unaccounted for in an area in east Democratic of Congo where floods killed more than 400 people last week, a local official says, as shaken survivors wait for food aid.
Scores of bodies have been recovered from the villages of Bushushu and Nyamukubi in South Kivu province’s Kalehe territory since torrential rain caused landslides and flash floods on Thursday, flattening buildings and sweeping away crops.
Mass graves were dug over the weekend to dispose of the dead, many of whom were women and children, prompting complaints from some civil society groups who said the burials were undignified.
Red Cross workers have sounded the alarm about a lack of supplies and equipment to assist more than 8800 affected residents, many left homeless and traumatised after one of the deadliest natural disasters in Congo’s recent history.